Non-verbal communication (NVC) is often mistakenly referred to as simply the observation of physical ‘body language’. But this ancient, invisible form of subconscious communication in perpetual motion, encompasses much more than that. In non-verbal communication we examine everything that is communicated; from physical gestures, spatial distance, bodily orientation, and movement, to all the subtle micro transmissions conveyed in vocal paralinguistics.
Why Study Non-Verbal Communication?
This module begins with an overview of the real nature of non-verbal communication, including traditional methods of physical facial expressions, gestures, spatial distance, and other subtle cues hidden not only in visual but auditory observation and written communication. You will discover when we first learn this ancient art of transmission; how much of our communication is non-verbal, the role that paralinguistics plays in NVC, the impact of social media on communication, and how, outside of pop psychology micro-cues, we can really spot a liar! An ability that becomes increasingly easier when you realise that people can lie, but the mind does not.
- Comprehensive explanations of the different presentations of NVC
- Decoding information between and within species
- Non-verbal communication in Social Learning Theory experiments
- Impact of Social Media communications
- Why a non-verbal element is necessary for communication
- Paralinguistics: definitions and examples
- How to spot a liar using NVC
- Eye-language and universal facial feature analysis
- Cultural variations & haptics in non-verbal communication
Personal Interest & Career Progression
For anyone wishing to explore this fascinating form of unconscious transmission for general interests, to be able to improve observation for personal reasons, or for those who would benefit from developing a much greater awareness to apply in professional settings, this unique opportunity to learn observation and the decoding of non-verbal communication from a qualified analyst is highly recommended. By the end of this module, you will be able to observe beyond your former boundaries of perception. This module is also an excellent foundation for educational and career development, with the learning being highly applicable for improving personal and professional progression in settings such as;
- Early Years Development
- Education, Learning, & Play Centres
- Psychology Students in mainstream & higher education
- Social & Community Support Work
- Play Therapy, Counselling, & Psychotherapy
- Communicating with non-verbal speakers
- Animal Communication
- Psychological & Observational Analysis
How it Works
This video module on ‘Non-Verbal Communication’, taught by a professionally accredited lecturer in Psychology, can be taken as a stand-alone study, or as part of the complete course in core Psychology. After purchase, video media is downloaded directly to your mobile or computing device, where you have unlimited lifetime access & replay with no login necessary. You may take this or any module, or the entire course in Psychology, purely for personal interest purposes. After completion, however, you have the option to apply for Certification for your Personal Curriculum Vitae, or Continual Professional Development (CPD) portfolios, by the submission of a brief online test of your knowledge gained.
- Video Tutorial [1:00:00 hour recording]
- Taught by a Professionally Qualified Lecturer in Psychology
- Learning by Self Study at your own pace and convenience
- Tutorial covers all concepts & theories in mainstream education
- No previous experience or pre-course requirements needed
- Download directly to your mobile or computing device
- No login or internet access required
- Unlimited Lifetime Access & Unlimited Replay Facility
- Certification available for Personal Portfolios & CPD
- Single Module £15
‘What you do is make people think more deeply – after your lesson our conversations take on a profound aspect, we explore more meaningful concepts’
(Martin – Print Design)
‘Carole makes you think. She makes everyone think’
(Sarah ~ Financial Consultant)
‘Really enjoyable – wish the course would continue week after week – have signed up for the next course already. I am now much more aware of how to see through and beyond what appears on the surface’
(Chloe – Student)
For general information & educational purposes. 18 yrs+ only. Results may vary. Terms Apply. Hebe House Ltd.© All Rights Reserved.