Social influence studies in psychology examine the often shocking way in which an individual loses autonomy – the ability of independent thought -and changes their behaviour, thinking, and sometimes even their own identity, in response to environmental influences. Or in some cases, merely as a result of a complete stranger telling them to!
Why Study Social Influence & Obedience?
From subliminal social influences, through peer pressure, invisible conformity and directed obedience, in this module you will learn about experiences in psychology that will entirely change your perspective of power subconscious influences, and your own unconscious behaviour and conscious autonomy and behavioural choices. Beginning with an overview of the invisible psychological forces imposed on the individual, in this module, you will explore the concepts of conformity, obedience, and deindividuation, discover why we conform, learn about social loafing and the extraordinary influence of the bystander effect, and the cultural differences in psychological research.
- Discussion of how our behaviour changes due to the influence of other people
- Differences and effects of social influence and conformity
- Informational and normative social influence
- Psychological studies examining factors affecting conformity
- Milgram studies and Obedience
- Deindividuation and individual responsibility
- Social Loafing & The Bystander Effect
- Individualism and collectivism in cultural differences
- Factors affecting conformity and obedience
Personal Interest & Career Progression
For anyone living or working in groups, and to raise personal and professional awareness of how our behaviour can drastically change as a direct result of simply being in the company of others, this module is an excellent eye-opener of the invisible pressures that influence our decisions and behaviour. By taking this module, you will significantly increase your understanding of psychological forces and phenomena and greatly improve your own autonomy and decision-making. This module is also an excellent foundation for educational and career-related settings, such as;
- Education & Learning
- Recruitment, Management and Training
- Probation, Policing & Rehabilitation
- Therapy, Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Social & Community Care
- Mediation & Social Services
How it Works
This video module on ‘Social Influence & Obedience’, taught by a professionally accredited lecturer in Psychology, can be taken as a stand-alone study, or as part of the complete course in core Psychology. After purchase, video media is downloaded directly to your mobile or computing device, where you have unlimited lifetime access & replay with no login necessary. You may take this or any module, or the entire course in Psychology, purely for personal interest purposes. After completion, however, you have the option to apply for Certification for your Personal Curriculum Vitae, or Continual Professional Development (CPD) portfolios, by the submission of a brief online test of your knowledge gained.
- Video Tutorial [50:00 minute recording]
- Taught by a Professionally Qualified Lecturer in Psychology
- Learning by Self Study at your own pace and convenience
- Tutorial covers all concepts & theories in mainstream education
- No previous experience or pre-course requirements needed
- Download directly to your mobile or computing device
- No login or internet access required
- Unlimited Lifetime Access & Unlimited Replay Facility
- Certification available for Personal Portfolios & CPD
- Single Module £15
‘Carole teaches in a lovely way and is always open to answer questions if you are unsure. Amazing topics!’
(Georgia – Mum)
‘I was in the army and could relate to a lot of what I learned on this course’
(Robert – Captain)’
‘Enjoyed all of it. Well put together. Good balance – humour, discussion and theory’
(Helen – Administration Manager)
For general information & educational purposes. 18 yrs+ only. Results may vary. Terms Apply. Hebe House Ltd.© All Rights Reserved.