The brain is an incredibly finely tuned organ of complex chemical and electrical functioning, that human beings could simply not live without. Having thought to evolve from animal brainstem origins, all human brains require certain components to function optimally. In constant activity, in both waking and sleeping hours, our brains are that which detects and decodes a mass of sensory information, mediates our bodily functions, and enables us to move. Within the skull, the human brain has two hemispheres, one on the right side of the brain and the other on the left side. These two halves of the brain are connected by the corpus callosum, which acts as a crossing bridge of electrical, neurological information. From traditional studies, it is thought that the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body. Being able to make millions of neurological connections, recent research into plasticity looks at the ability of the brain to rewire itself.
As the first lesson on the Introduction to Psychology course, in this single module, taught by an academically accredited, professionally qualified subject-specialist lecturer in psychology, you will learn about the dual mind theory, addressing the first question of what is psychology? Beginning with a clear introduction of brain anatomy, you will learn about illusions, delusions, the cause of dyslexia, Gestalt principles, neurology, sensory decoding of stimuli, techniques for brain scanning, how the brain functions, where, from somatosensory mapping, are components in the brain located, and what happens when we encounter a gap in perception? In addition, you will learn about the role of the pineal gland, homeostasis, the effect of drugs on the brain, and the impact of shock and trauma.
This module on Brain Anatomy & Neurology is for anyone interested to know more about the inside of our brain, and why our mind sometimes appears to play tricks on our perception. Especially recommended for anyone suffering perceptual distortions or brain trauma, and those who work in professional therapeutic settings with them. By taking this module, you will improve your comprehension for natural curiosity, educational or career advancement, and develop a greater understanding of core psychology, brain anatomy, disruptions in cortical functioning, and neurotransmitter activity.
- Are the mind and the brain the same or different things?
- How do we decode and encode external and internal stimuli?
- What are illusions and delusions?
- What causes dyslexia, and what can be done to help?
- The primary brainstem, animal brain, & evolutionary development
- Brain hemispheres, lobes, the pineal gland, & cortical functioning
- Localisation, lateralisation, & somatosensory mapping of brain regions
- The role of the hypothalamus, amygdala, thalamus, and pituitary gland
- Brain scanning techniques
- Neural networks and neurological functioning
- Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
- Neurotransmitters, SSRI’s and Synapses
‘I found the course interesting and comprehensive, and delivered in a clear and understandable way’
(Greg – Engineer)
‘Carole is passionate about her subject matter. This comes over through her delivery, her knowledge, her enthusiasm – hugely informative and thought-provoking’
(Sarah – Financial Analyst)
‘Another interesting course, opening lots of doors into topics that I always wanted to know more about’
(Andrea – Financial Consultant)
- Receive the full lesson recorded VIDEO [1:15:00] hrs
- Lesson transcript & knowledge worksheet download
- No previous experience or qualifications necessary
- No additional homework or examinations
- Begin now and learn at your own pace and convenience
- After registering, you will receive an email with easy-to-follow log in details
- Unlimited 24/7 access, pause, replay & re-access facility
- Login & Student Support
- FREE subscription to private informational newsletters
- FREE access to The Mind Forum to join in community discussions
Brain Anatomy, Illusions & Delusions
For general information & educational purposes. 18 yrs+ only. Results may vary. Terms Apply. Hebe House Ltd.© All Rights Reserved.